Wednesday, August 7, 2013

2013 University Film & Video Association (UFVA) Graduate Fellowship

My University Film & Video Association (UFVA) Fellowship presented me a number of firsts. It was my first time in California, my first visit to Chapman University, and my first UFVA conference. My experience was unforgettable, from arriving at the John Wayne Airport to attending the closing banquet at Bowers Museum.

The scenery was beautiful, most of the people were cordial, and I benefited from educational and professional development. Meeting the UFVA Board of Directors at the welcome event and listening to each of them was great. Before and during the conference, I appreciated the advice and helpfulness of Joe Brown, UFVA Fellowship Coordinator.

At the conference, held at Marion Knott Studios, I attended numerous film screenings and panels. Pastriology and The Voice That Broke the Silence, which took me back to Oaxaca (Mexico), were my favorite films.

Individual presentations were given on a variety of interesting topics. My favorite panels included "Storytelling Trends in 2013," "Teaching Story Structure: It's All Greek to Us," and "Using Graphic Novels in Fairy Tales: How Superheroes & Enchantment Transform Narrative." They dealt with story structure, pitching, and the relationship between movies and comics, manga, and anime.

Universities from all over the nation were represented, and there was plenty of time for networking and interaction. Of course, I also met the other seven UFVA fellows and shared a graduate student presentation panel with them. I also got to know students and instructors with whom I shared similar creative interests. I enjoyed meaningful interaction with several presenters and many more instructors and professionals between sessions and during the coffee breaks.

Various obstacles almost prevented me from attending the 2013 UFVA Conference, especially since I had just returned from my study abroad experience in Oaxaca one month earlier. I am glad that everything worked out and that the UFVA Fellowship provided this wonderful opportunity. 


Photos

Click on a photo for a larger image (slideshow).

John Wayne Airport





Chapman University












Orange, CA (near Chapman University)




Marion Knott Studios
















Downtown Disney












Closing Banquet at Bowers Museum




























The Alley Cats Doo Wop group and 1950s Car Show at Chapman University